2007年4月23日月曜日

My Experience Studying English

English has been my favorite subject since I was junior high school student.
When I took a first English class at junior high school, I was really anxious about learning a new language. But the anxiety faded away soon and I was fascinated by the pleasure of learning English. Actually, thanks to my first English teacher, I came to like English.
Let me tell about her just a little. She was spirited and enthusiastic. She often made a joke and gave some funny examples in order to attract the interest of us and to have us like or understand English. So her classes were always amusing and interesting.
In my experience studying English at school, the most valuable and impressive thing was talking to non-Japanese in English. Sometimes ALT came to the class, and taught us English, playing games. And I remember we had a chance to talk to non-Japanese outside the school as part of the class.
But there were few opportunity to speak English, particularly in high school. we studied English for examinations at school. The class placed great importance on the grammar, and we did reading, writing and listening over and over,while we hardly did speaking.
This often occurs very commonly at many schools in Japan of today. Therefore, students in Japan are not used to speaking English, and are shy of speaking English.
In my opinion, we learn English for the purpose of communicating with people all over the world, so speaking is also an important skill, or perhaps it may be the most important skill. So if I become an English teacher, I will have enough time to have students talk in English.
Now I'm going to English conversation school to make up for the lack of experience of speaking and my skill in speaking . I'm really enjoy talking with non- Japanese teacher at the school. And now I love English, not as a subject but itself.

1 件のコメント:

JH さんのコメント...

Keichan,
What made English your favorite subejct. Was it your teacher or English itself?